SOCIAL IMPACT MITIGATION
The effect ofHIV go far beyond the health status of individuals. In many cases, HIV leads to poverty, discrimination, physical harassment and low self-esteem of PLHIV. RRP+ therefore focusses its activities in this intervention area on the improvement of their economic and social status. Member associations are supported to become economically independent cooperatives that contribute to improved incomes of PLHIV. Being able to meet basic needs of housing, clothing and nutrition will raise self-confidence and will help to reduce internal stigma and discrimination by society.
The overall goal of this intervention area, is to strengthen measures to guarantee that PLHIV are able to live a dignified life.
The following specific objectives will contribute to the achievement of this overall goal:
1. Conduct awareness and sensitization to reduce stigma and discrimination towards people infected and affected by HIV.
2. Advocate that social protection floors consider the specific needs of PLHIV.
3. Support social economic development by increased partnerships and linkages to programs that provide employment training, financial literacy and entrepreneurship training
4. Increase collaboration with GoR, CSO, and Private sector for the promotion and protection of PLHIV rights to earn a living
Achievements 2015 – 2016:
- RRP+ has organized a press conference on the 1st of march 2016 under the motto of “Zero tolerance to HIV-related stigma enables the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals”. 10 Partner organisations and 35 media agencies attended the conference.
- Advocacy of RRP+ enabled 042 vulnerable families that are members of 228 member associations of RRP+ to receive a health insurance during the 2016-2017 fiscal year financed by Imbuto Foundation?
- With the support of RRP+, 190 member organisations are now cooperatives that aim to improve the economic situation of its HIV+ members. In order to make cooperatives economically viable, women and other cooperative members are trained on income generating activities, leadership and transparency.
- Training of members of the general assembly of RRP+ to strengthen effective follow-up and documentation of HIV-related gender based violence.