Preventing new infections and supporting PLHIV is essential to combating the spread of HIV. Interventions in prevention should aim to engage leaders, medical providers to ensure interventions equitably reached both the general population and high risk of transmission groups.
The overall goal of this intervention area is: Primary and secondary prevention measures are accessible to all to reduce new HIV infections.
The following objectives will contribute to the achievement of this overall goal:
- Primary and secondary prevention services for Youth, FSW, MSM, Prisoners and other high risk populations are increased
- Engagement and awareness of responsibilities of leaders is strengthened to ensure the spread of HIV is reduced
- Strengthen the involvement of PLHIV in prevention response
- Promote collaborative efforts with GoR, CSOs and private sector for enhanced prevention measures
- Sexual reproductive health and rights education is effectively promoted for in school youth, especially young women.
- A baseline done by RRP+ with support of UNAIDS in Nyarugenge, Kicukiro, Gasabo, Musanze and Rubavu showed the need to raise awareness among parents living with HIV to get their children tested and to reveal their status to them, to reduce stigma during their teenage years. Around 3500 people participated in the awareness raising campaign. 274 people decided to get tested by the mobile facilities offered by RRP+ on the spot
- With the support of Global Fund, a total of 921 peer educators of RRP+ working in 27 districts have mobilised and referred a total of 661 people to health centers for HIV testing